1. Belgium has the lowest amount of McDonald’s restaurants per inhabitant in the world
2. Belgium counts around 178 breweries, together producing 800 different beers.
3. Belgium produces 220.000 ton of chocolate yearly (my personal favorite is Marcolini)
4. The Belgian national airport in Zaventem is known as the worlds biggest sales point for chocolate.
5. Audrey Hepburn was born in Brussels
6. Oil paint is an invention of the brothers Eyck.
7. Not to be proud of, but Belgium is the world record holder of the longest period without a government.
8. Robert Cailliau, the co-inventor of the world wide web, is Belgian.
9. Asphalt was invented by the Belgian professor Edward J. de Smedt.
10. The Body Mass Index (BMI) is an invention of the Belgian mathematician Lambert Adolphe Quetelet
11. In the 1970’s Belgian schools served beer to the students during lunch. (That explains a lot…)
12. The ‘Gentse Feesten‘ is the biggest European cultural festival.
13. Tomorrowland is the worlds biggest house & techno-festival.
14. Plastic is an invention of the Belgian Leo Hendrik Baekeland
15. The Belgian coast tram is the longest tramline in the world.
17. Belgium has the highest amount of castles per square meter in the world (if that’s something worth mentioning to anyone…)
18. The ‘Big Bang’ theory is from the mind of the Belgian priest-physicist Georges Lemaître (Take that, Christians). Even a crater on the moon has been named after him.
19. Rollerblades are an invention of the Belgian clockmaker John-Joseph Merlin.
20. The Belgian Royal Palace is bigger than Buckingham Palace. (Sorry Elizabeth)
21. The Frenchspeaking part of Belgium is the worlds biggest producer of comic books per inhabitant
22. New York City is founded by Pierre (Peter) Minuit (1589-1638). This French speaking Belgian bought the Manhattan-island in 1626 from the original inhabitants.
23. The first ever newspaper was called ‘Nieuwe Tijdingen’ en was printed in 1605 in Antwerp by Abraham Verhoeven.
24. Ludwig van Beethoven’s roots lie in Mechelen.
25. Belgium delivered the uranium for the atom bomb dropped by the Americans on Hiroshima. The uranium was originally imported from the Belgian colony, Congo. (Yay us…)